As we approach the halfway point of the regular season I figured now would be a good time for an update. We’re playing well, and most everybody is back healthy. Gary has made some cameos and Paul’s full-time again. Will is coming soon…Knowing him it’ll be a TNT debut (Thrill National Television).
I don’t wish an injury on anyone, but I remember that’s how I got my start in the league. When I was drafted, Billy King told the media I’d spend the year between the D-League and the Nets. A little more than a week into the season we lost Brook Lopez for the year. For us, Malik and Juancho have taken advantage of their opportunity this season. They’ve stayed ready and established themselves, having big games during this stretch.
During the preseason I predicted our team would have two All-Stars. If we stay on top of the West and we don’t have two players (Jamal and Joker) representing us it’ll be a crime. I liked Chuck’s take on the fan vote. There should be more emphasis put on coaches’ votes or peer recognition among players. People have to step up when key guys go down and they’ve done so at a high level. Joker’s even making his case for the dunk contest.
The NBPA meeting is in the Bahamas this year during all-star break. The NBPA is getting smart. I’m predicting record attendance. Any suggestions on what to lobby for from the league? Hard to complain as an NBA player, but if I go to the meeting?
Here are some thoughts:
- Less preseason. I can’t believe we used to do eight games…Five is too many. I took an impromptu poll and all agreed.
- More teams. Add Vegas, Seattle, Kansas City, and Mexico City. Make it happen Carlos Slim.
- Skymiles and hotel points. Technically, our Delta flights are team charters, but I feel like we should definitely have status for the offseason on Delta. I’ve flown around 250,000 Delta miles since entering the league. That’s got to be worth free wifi or an upgrade.
- Where does the fine money go!?! I tried to appoint mine after some technicals, but apparently it doesn’t work like that. Some guys have been fined upwards of a quarter million dollars over their careers. There should be a point when you can choose the cause you want that much of your salary to go. (As an aside — shout out to everyone who’s told a pro athlete to just give them the money instead of taking the tech and getting fined: “Right before you get a tech, hold up and just give me the 2 Gs instead.”)
- Let Kanye redesign the Clippers mascot.
Finally, thank you to everyone who voted for me and Malik for the Shaqtin’ a Fool award. Malik has a hard time reacting to coverage calls. We have 40 games left to learn “left,” “right,” “under” and “switch”…keep us in your thoughts.